Friday, May 18, 2007

Crime Scene Cleanup and Concrete Polishing

I should have mentioned that I have a concrete polishing business. Actually, I have a floor polishing business for natural stone and concrete. So what does this have to do with crime scene cleanup?

It has a lot to do with crime scene cleanup. My floor business subsidizes my cleaning business. You see, there is not enough work in crime scene cleanup to survive. Now, many people in this business survive simply by doing crime scene cleanup. But there are others like me, destined to hold down more than one occupation. In fact, I have several other businesses, but I will not write about these businesses now. You can bet that I will on another day. For now, keep in mind that I need several other businesses to barely make ends meet, and i am looking for another way to diversify my prospects.

Business is so bad in crime scene cleanup that I always advise new-comers to "keep your day job." I say this in all honesty. If you don't believe me visit my crime scene cleanup school and I will tell you the same thing. This line of business is an add-on for most people. That means it is another way to generate income for an already existing business. If anyone were to enter the crime scene cleanup business as a stand-alone business, and they did not have deep pockets, a rich daddy, or the best luck in the universe, I would think they needed their head examined to come into this business.

Can you imagine what people are hearing? They are hearing that "you can make hundreds of dollars an hour by cleaning up after death." They are being told that simply "by going to a school and setting up shop" they will make bunches of money. Well let me put it this way because I like analogies. During the gold rush in California it was those who sold the wheel barrels and picks and shovels that made money. The guys who actually went out to dig for gold ended up starving in many cases.

I believe that this analogy is a good one for crime scene cleanup as an occupation. It works for concrete polishing too -- I should know.

By all means, if you have an already existing business, and you want to add-on one or more businesses, then consider cleaning trauma. Don't expect to get rich from it.
Carpet cleaners, by the way, are among those most suited to add-on crime scene cleanup. Visit my blog at www.crimescenecleanup.com and you will find more writing on these ideas. There will be more coming, too.
Eddie Evans

No comments: