Friday, May 25, 2007

Boy Scouts of America

The below is from the Boy Scouts of America and can be found HERE.
I think that Ben Franklin may have some part in these ideas.
This is an important document. It is important for a number of reasons, which I will highlight:

1. It sets obtainable goals for easily influenced learners.
2. It sets goals that almost everyone can live by and share.
3. It looks to posterity (the future).

Let's take a look at each and deconstruct as we wish.
The Scout Motto[8]
Be Prepared.
In terms of American (USA) values, being prepared is part of being self-reliant. I am pleased to see that someone is still pushing this idea of being self-reliant, besides the Green Party. BE Prepared for what? Well, for anything that comes the way of an honorable scout. How does one prepare for Global Warming, i wonder?
The Scout Slogan[8]
Do a Good Turn Daily.
How can anyone improve on this one?
The Scout Oath[8]
On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
No problems here. I think that "mentally awake" must apply to critical thinking.
The Scout Law[8]
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.
Perhaps the public schools should indoctrinate upon The Scout Law? I might question "obedient." I don't like "obedient." But, that's just me.
The Outdoor Code[8]
As an American, I will do my best to be clean in my outdoor manners, be careful with fire, be considerate in the outdoors, and be conservation-minded.
I like it, especially the "conservation-minded." So what happened to the USA?
The Scout Sign[8]
The upper arm is held horizontally out to the right side, and the forearm is held vertically. The palm of the hand faces forward, with the first three fingers extended and the tips of the little finger and thumb joined.
It's OK for the young kids, but lends itself to gang-like behavior in the wrong place.
The Scout Salute[8]
A three-finger salute using the same configuration as the Scout Sign, with the tip of the index finger touching the forehead or hat brim.
I like Mr. Spock, so I'll keep my comments to myself.
The Scout Handshake[8]
This is the traditional handshake done with the left hand, because upon meeting the zulu king, Dinuzulu, the king removed his shield which was worn on the left arm and extended to Lord Baden-Powell a hand shake with his left hand. The left hand shake was a Zulu sign of vulnerability and respect.
I don't know where the Zulu's came into the picture, but this is also European and English for more-or-less the same reasons. Enlisted always walk to the left and a bit back from officers for the same reason, keep the sword (pistol) hand free.

The BSA Scout Oath and Law have remained unchanged since they were first developed in 1910.[9][8]

Eddie Evans

No comments: