Saturday, May 12, 2007

Blogging

Has the reader noticed how this writer begins so many lines with the pronoun "I"?
I have.

I was told more than once to write in the "third person" because it is the business way. I was told this in school, that is.
Then I met a few very intelligent women who were discussing the use of the pronoun "I" in writing. They were from Arkansas, by the way.

Well, they recommended that everyone should write in the first person, the "I" pronoun. They claimed, and apparently correctly, that doing so brings some focus and a sense of responsibility to what the writer is writing.

I think they were actually out to poke fun at corporations and corporate employees' drive to evade responsibility for doing business in bad faith. These ladies were upset about how corporations polluted their water and failed to take responsibility.

Besides learning from these ladies how important it is to write in the first person, I also learned that "We all live downstream." They even had bumper stickers with this idea printed on them.

Cleaning up crimes related to water pollution must be a big job, I have surmised. I keep my fins and mask at the ready, just in case I get the call.

No comments: