Sunday, May 13, 2007

Carpet Cleaners

Carpet cleaning was my second adulthood business endeavor. It didn't last long because of the competition. What a joke that was!

I once did an analysis of my competitors, and the first lesson that I learned is that there were far too many. Yahoo! showed me that I have over 40 carpet cleaners within 4 miles of my front door. Now how was I to compete with all of these guys?

No wonder customers were trying to drag my prices down to nowhere. And once on the job, husbands and wives would start adding on more and more and shirked at my suggestion that they should pay more.
No, my customers wanted a personal slave and came to believe that I was their personal slave once they had me indoors. I even had one old guy pointing to places on his carpet that he believed needed more cleaning. I had brought his carpet back from the floor of a motorcycle shop, literally, to a rather clean surface. He still persisted. Enough!

So I came to the field of Crime Scene Cleanup because there was "virtually no competition." Well, I learned again that there is plenty of competition and it is growing by the day, literally. In fact, I probably receive about 5 to 10 calls per week from people looking for work. And I don't blame them. I am just making a point.

Once I wrote at the crime scene cleanup email list at Yahoo!, "Will clean for food" as a title to my complaint about the competition, and the owner of a so-called "Crime Scene Cleanup School" personally attacked me by slandering me as a liar and worse.
And if you were thinking ahead, you are not going to be surprised to read that this guy is a tow-truck driver. So what does he know? He's a tow truck driver!

What can I say, other than the truth. There are far too many companies in this business for the amount of work.


Sometimes I get calls from people asking how they will do if they go into this business, so now I'm going to refer them to this page in this blog: http://crime-scene-cleanup.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-will-i-do-in-this-business.html

I have my recommendations for those interested in starting a business, but I will save those recommendations for later. I will not be recommending carpet cleaning or crime scene cleanup as a business to enter because of the intense competition for far too few customers. In the meantime, learn to live simply.

No comments: