Monday, March 9, 2009

Learning, Internal Dialogue, and "Not Yet"

It is important to keep one's mind on the ball when learning. Any thoughts like, "I can't do this" are forbidden when the learner must learn a subject.

When the learner talks inside the head by using that "internal dialogue" that Allen Watts claims to run "interminably," then the learner needs to choose the right words. So negatives for the learner are not going to help. Positives for the learner will help.

I see when I am intensely involved with learning something "tough" for me, I need to agree with myself to come back to the task. I see that I need to ask myself, "Have you learned this yet" or "Are you going to be able to learn this stuff?" before stopping for the day. "Stopping," I see is preferable to "quitting" for the day, to regress.

I need to say to myself something like this: Have you learned what you need for the day on this project? "Not yet," I need to say to myself. This makes returning to the project at-hand much easier with a "can-do" attitude. It makes the forward-backward motion of the mind's learning more palatable.

It is just so with mathematics and other subjects. Math makes the "not yet" approach more apparent, more useful, and more easily measured -- of all things! When learning mathematics the learning pushes on into virgin territory. A keen focus must be kept if success is to prevail. I know that the learner is keenly focused on the math subject because without keen focus there is no learning in Math, other than "I can't learn this stuff when I'm not keenly focused."

My approach to learning the riveting type learning like math is to work into the unknown, conquering as I move forward. When I find that I can move no farther, when I've spent too much time on the problem, it is better to take a break, regroup until later. Then when I come back, I'm coming back from old territory that I have conquered. This way I have some solid learning ground to help my mind leverage itself into new ideas, new intellectual territory.

I see that learning should never be a negative, only a positive continuum. "Not yet" tells me that the learning will come with effort and persistence. Right knowledge is positive knowledge, not negative. (I will acknowledge the place of "negation" dialectial criticism, though, especially in literature.)

Eddie Evans
crime scene cleanup

No comments: