Monday, October 1, 2007

Nepotism, Coroners' Employees, Crime Scene Cleanup

I'm looking at the big picture now, at least I hope that it is the big picture. My computer, the Internet, and crime scene cleanup take a much less demanding place in this big picture. I see that this line of business has reached its limits for me. I need to ease it out of my life, in part, just as computers and the Internet need to ease out of my life. Owning www.biosafe.us and so many other web sites has helped business, though.

Speaking of business, sadly enough, I find that those who deserve zero from this business gain greatly from it. Some might say that I am a "poor sport" for thinking this way.


The stories come in slowly from north, south, east, and west. Small companies vanquished by nepotism in coroners' offices lose out as nepotism slowly replaces free enterprise in the crime scene cleanup business. Civil servants, tax supported employees often seize the better paying death scenes for their relatives and friends, and at the bereaved and insurance company's loss.

There is not much to be done for it because word to the county administrator's goes unheard, or they could care less. Employees, relatives, and friends garner the more lucrative cleaning jobs simply because of their monopoly over information about homicides, suicides, and decompositions from unattended deaths. This is not "small business," it is not "free enterprise," it is nepotism, or a form of quasi-fascism to the sorry losers.

For example, if your father was county sheriff of town X, and you happen to be the son or daughter of the now retired sheriff, you stand to inherit whatever you might wish from this business so many now call "crime scene cleanup." Perhaps your brother-in-law works for the coroner's office as a technician or an investigator. The simple elimination of a few of your competitors' from a call list handed to the bereaved goes a long way. It is so easy to remove competitors when your office is in the coroner's department. This is one of the surest ways to enrich the undeserving who are removed from our competitive economy, the surest way to monopize profits from cleaning death scenes. Skew the opportunities to clean; that's the key.

Think about it. It is not appropriate for nepotism to occur in this environment by any means, but it goes on, and it grows. Can you imagine the conventions, the email lists, and other sources of information that carry information informing coroners' employees. Some moon-light and refer work to friends and relatives for a piece of the action. This is MONOPOLY and without the hazards of going to jail and a sure ticket to passing Go. Sad business it is.

Sure, it's OK for morticians and such to share information, to recommend one business over another for service and kickbacks. But it is another thing for a tax supported entity to become a broker for death's cleanup.

Crime Scene Cleanup.com has been fun for me because of the many calls for help that I received from it over the years; not calls for cleaning so much, but calls for vocational education information. There have been so many youngsters out there excited by the thought that they too were going to make "one-hundred dollars an hour." Little did they know that so many in this business pump it up into the thousands. Few know that the "heavy hitters" were and are somehow related to the coroners' offices throughout the USA by virtue of their family and friends.

I hope that the so-called "schools" for this business will not scalp too many of these youngsters as the years come and go. Granted, I can name two outstanding schools worthy of their fees, one of which I attended in Missouri. There is no nepotism to be found in their curriculum, only information for cleaning bio-hazards.

I dribble here.

Now, isn't all of this nepotism sort of like the "crony capitalism" that we see in Russia and other countries? Then again, isn't it sort of like the nepotism over monopoly occurring everyday in the USA as the top one-percent of our population plan their agenda?

For certain, I need steady work and income, and I need to get away from this computer for my remaining years. I've been here for several decades now. I started with the Commodore, which many young people have never heard. I was cranking out college papers on it with great glee so many years ago, but that seems like just a while ago! I don't regret any of it, but it is time to move back to the real world of stone-and-mortar. I need to make like Commodore and jam from this scene! My gut is testimonial enough to the hazard of this workplace.

I suspect that my cleaning days are coming to a close as I find a way to detach myself from this monitor and keyboard.

Eddie Evans
Crime Scene Cleanup

No comments: