Friday, June 27, 2008

North Pole Could be Ice-Free This Summer

The North Pole's ice may not break apart this summer - a first in human history.

Here I am, 61, born Green because I've always asked, "What if," and it turns out that there probably IS something to global warming. Life would have been better for me if I had not been asking myself those silly little questions about limits to growth, those Malthusian-Marxian-Darwinian questions before I had the intellectual ability to articulate these powerful ideas and others. Little did I know at 8 years old that my conjuring about the limits to growth in the Downey cemetary were setting a foundation for fundamental environmental analysis and ecological theory.

I wish Ruddy Devilla was still alive. I miss his skill with these things. Global Warming doesn't take much skill though, at least not much mental power for anyone with time in a green house. It's "no-brainer."


When I ran for office in 88 as a "Green," I did not bring Global Warming up because of the breadth-and-depth of cement headism in Orange County. "What's the point," I used to say to myself. Use something tangible as a Green issue, something like the loss of species' habitat and the long-term survival of species in the wild.

Then there were women's issues, which are obviously on the back-burner, judging by the ignorance of so many women that I have seen - - Breeders and couch sitters, besides those in destitute life-styles and still popping out the babies. 7 Billion humans will be on this planet in less than 15 years. So whose going to feed them? Whose going to house them? Whose going to give them jobs and thereby keep them off the streets? They sure as hell are not going to go into intellectual endeavors, or study technology, or avoid snake oil, trinkets, and bread and circuses. What a fat mess! They'll destroy what's left of wild nature.

What about water? Where's the clean water going to come from?

I had it right then, and I have it right now. The real issues are environmental. Terrorism is nothing new, and in a sense, terrorism has environmental roots, which I don't have time for now. I needed to get the link down. Ruddy I miss those conversations so much.

Eddie Evans
Crime Scene Cleanup

No comments: